Wool Supply Chain Intern
Our summer internship is back!!
We are KAL is a social business with an unconventional approach to slow fashion. We create handmade textiles and garments from source to stitch. This means that we directly source our raw materials and from then on, go through the process of washing, spinning, knitting and weaving. We work in close collaboration with our team of nomadic shepherds, spinners and weavers in remote areas of India on reviving disappearing textile arts and organic natural fibers.
We are looking for two passionate and adventurous individuals who will support us during the annual wool harvest in the Changthang Plateau in the summer months of 2023. Between June and September we source the wool from our team of nomads in Ladakh, grade the wool, wash it, card it and distribute it to our team in Ladakh for spinning and weaving.
You will accompany us all the way and experience our supply chain. This means: getting your hands dirty, digging through wool, walking in the high mountains, witnessing the local life. Also, you will get a very good insight into the spinning and weaving techniques and are welcome to contribute with your creative mind.
We appreciate ambition over degrees.
Internship 1: Start mid/end June until mid of August 2023
Internship 2: Start mid August until beginning of October 2023.
Location: Leh, Ladakh, India
What you will be working on:
- researching on wool and the nomadic regions of Ladakh (at the beginning / before the internship)
- selecting and buying wool for our fall / winter collection
- grading, carding and washing of the wool
- getting to know the local spinning and weaving techniques with the intention to contribute to new designs and methods of working
What we are looking for:
- an open-minded and adaptable individual - you will be immersed in the local way of life
- a fit and energetic person with strong will power - the work is very physically exhausting at an altitude between 3300m - 4800m with a lot of sun
- feedback and suggestions to the way how We are KAL is working right now
- be a multiplier of our work at KAL
- background in wool is a plus (ie farmers, spinners, weavers, knitters etc.)
- fluency in English, interest in learning basics of the local language
What we offer:
- incredible & life-changing adventure in one of the most stunning regions in the world
- hands on experience and seeing a product come to life from its origin
- friendship with our entire team especially Angtak and Catherine who you will be spending a lot of time with
- board & lodging: accommodation at our home & studio in Choglamsar, a village 7kms from Leh and home cooked meals
- products of choice of our collection (customization welcomed)
- weekend escapes for trekking and exploring the region Ladakh